SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Motivation Monday: Social Media

• Motivation Monday: Social Media

Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 2, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. For those in the U.S., hope you all enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday.

For today’s Motivation Monday topic, I wanted to talk about how we might use social media as a source of inspiration. While there is plenty of negativity on various social media platforms, there are positive things as well. I follow people with SMA and other disabilities on Instagram and Facebook, and I love seeing their posts. I’m then able to connect with these people anytime, and not just at annual conferences. Many of them do a great job spreading awareness about their disabilities through social media.

Also, check out this blog post. It highlights some really good inspirational social media posts.

How do you use social media? As someone in the SMA community, does it help you feel more connected?

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

December 2, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Social media is definitely something that can be a really big positive or a really big negative. I try to use mine in a positive way. Mostly as a platform to share my faith, my volunteer work, and my column as well as to stay in touch with friends and family that I don’t see often.

• alyssa-silva

December 3, 2019 at 5:33 pm

I’m definitely in a love/hate relationship with social media. On one end, it has helped me not only keep in touch with my friends and family but also connect with so many incredible people from all different walks of life. They’ve enriched my life in some way, and I’m truly grateful for the power of social media.

That being said, it can also be detrimental to my emotional wellbeing. On the days when I’m in a rut and scrolling through pictures of people living their best lives, it can sometimes make me feel inadequate or incapable. I know social media is everyone’s highlight reels though, so when I begin to tell myself these lies, it usually means I just need a 48-72 social media hiatus. And that helps a lot.