SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Movies and Life Lessons About SMA

• Movies and Life Lessons About SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 11, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week so far.

Check out my latest column here. Everyone who knows me knows that I’m a lifelong movie buff. For me though, movies do a lot more than just entertain. They inspire me, and can even teach me lessons about living with SMA. Even if they’re not explicitly about disability, I can still glean lessons from them.

Hope you all enjoy this one! It was fun to write.

Do you have any favorite movies or stories that inspire you? 

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

December 11, 2019 at 11:28 am

I love the parallels you draw.  Planning on going to at least one show over the holidays.  Not sure I can get life lessons from Jumanji, but I guess we’ll find out.

• halsey-blocher

December 11, 2019 at 9:24 pm

I haven’t heard of that Netflix series! Going to have to add it to my list. There’s also one called The Toys That Made Us. I’m guessing the one you’re talking about was inspired by it. You’d probably like that one as well.

• adnan-hafizovic

December 12, 2019 at 7:05 am

Kevin I watched these films before, I would especially like to point out Shaun of the Dead, I love Simon Pegg and that English humor. I am left with and will remain in my memory, Terminator 2: Judgment day. The movie is really a classic and I love Schwazenegger. It has this connection between me and Terminator 2, the day after I watched it, a war broke out in my city ,I think it was first May 1992.

• kevin-schaefer

December 12, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Lol, you never know!

• kevin-schaefer

December 12, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Halsey, that one’s great too! Yeah, I think the same people worked on both.

Adnan, great pick! I enjoyed the new Terminator as well.