SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Moving Out of State

• kevin-schaefer

February 17, 2019 at 12:14 pm

So I don’t have any experience with this either, but I do have some SMA friends who have done it. Let me try to get in touch with them.

• ryan-berhar

February 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Still trying to move out of house. Lol

• deann-r

February 18, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Luckily I managed that one, but moving across the country is quite daunting.  When I moved from home it was a lot easier to scope out the places to see of they’d work for me.  Plus having family nearby in a pinch has been nice.

• ryan-berhar

February 18, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Moving out of state is certainly a dream for me. It’s just so darn cold here. But that’s a long way off, if ever. I like LA, but living there might not be so great. Arizona is warm, so it might be ideal for me. Where are you wanting to move? If you don’t mind me asking.

• deann-r

February 19, 2019 at 10:36 am

Texas or California have been on my radar.  Minnesota has pretty good services, so that’s another thing I’m hesitant about leaving behind.

• ryan-berhar

February 19, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Texas might be the most ideal location for me, but it’s just so far.

• adnan-hafizovic

February 19, 2019 at 11:18 am

The most developed countries or richer  US states are in the cold north. And going further from your family is a little risky. Still, we must to have somebody in the vicinity. Only when you would marry someone from the warmer regions it would be the best.

• deann-r

February 20, 2019 at 12:19 pm

It does seem like the colder states do have better benefits.  I also agree it makes it easier when you know someone in the area.  Not that it’s impossible, just much more difficult.

• patrick-lenihan

February 21, 2019 at 7:06 pm

I moved from the east coast to the west coast. Before moving, you should contact the Health and Human Services agency and the Aging and Disability Services agency of the locale you are interested in moving to and ask if services you need are available and how to apply. I don’t want to offend anybody’s political sensibilities but the facts are that more liberal states tend to have more comprehensive services for the disabled. If you don’t have a private source for financing in home care, make sure the state and community you are moving to offers the level care you need. The New York Times has an excellent article and film by Jason DaSilva called The Disability Trap that I strongly recommend to any disabled person who is planning to move from their current state.  Finding accessible housing is difficult. Finding affordable accessible housing is more difficult. I suggest searching the craigslist and the local rental agencies and the contacting the local housing authority of the community you wish to move to. If you are moving away from your support system I advise that you move to the largest city and neighborhood with the best walk score that you can afford. Large cities tend to have better public transit, better medical facilities, more caregivers, and more social and professional networking opportunities. Living in a neighborhood with a high walk score gives you more independence because you can walk/wheel to restaurants, pubs, libraries, stores etc.. by yourself when public transit shuts down for the night or you can’t get a ride.

• deann-r

February 22, 2019 at 9:50 am

Thanks for the great advice Patrick.  It’s all a bit overwhelming to think about, so I’m doubtful it will happen in the near future but is certainly a long term goal.  Being from a small town I can definitely see the benefits of moving to a larger city.  It would certainly be an adjustment.  I have a lot to think about and a lot of research to do if I want to make it happen.

• mike-b

March 7, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Patrick had some great advice above. I made the move from Michigan to Florida about 20 years ago and it took at least 18 months of planning and logistics to make it happen. I aimed for moving to cities where there was a university, as they seemed to trend towards broader healthcare services and better public accessibility. I also found that communities that cater to the elderly also tend to be much more accessible (go figure!) I live in a golf course community now where I can roll to shops, restaurants and my primary care physician.