SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Cousin Is Afraid of Me

• My Cousin Is Afraid of Me

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on November 23, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I have a cousin who’s almost two. I see him every few months. When he first sees me, he’s always scared of me, but by the end of his visits, (a few days) he warms up. Trouble is, after not seeing me for a few months, he’s apparently forgotten I’m not a danger, and is scared again. The process repeats over and over. He’ll of course grow out of this (well, hopefully) but I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this. Be it a cousin, sibling, niece, nephew, or whatever. I have lots of cousins, all of whom are younger than me, and this has never happened before.

halsey-blocher replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

November 24, 2018 at 8:40 am

Can’t say I’ve experienced this with family or friends.  Most kids are intrigued by my chair.  If they are hesitant it’s usually not just because of my chair or disability, just that they’re shy in general.  Like you said over time they get used to it.  I think it’s good for kids to have exposure to disability so when they do get older they’re not as hesitant.  Maybe this kid will be cool with it and be like, “My cousin’s in a wheelchair,” when he comes across other situations.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 24, 2018 at 9:55 pm

I do think he’s shy in general. I gave him some M&M’s today which seemed to help lol.

• halsey-blocher

November 26, 2018 at 9:05 pm

I’ve known a few kids like this. I think it’s something they just have to grow out of. My best friend’s youngest daughter was scared of my chair for quite awhile. She wouldn’t get anywhere near it unless it had remains still for about half an hour. As soon as moved again, she was across the room! But eventually she got used to it and I’m pretty much her favorite person!