SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My New Favorite Way to De-Stress

• My New Favorite Way to De-Stress

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 13, 2020 at 11:00 am

I was scrolling through Instagram one day and noticed people posting regular photos with doodles over them. I’m an artistic person so it caught my eye immediately. I decided to take a whirl at it.

To my surprise, I became completely engrossed with doodling. I threw on one of my relaxing playlists on Spotify, picked a random photo, and let my imagination run free. Little did I know how therapeutic it’d be for me. I’ve been feeling down being homebound, but I dove headfirst into this and literally lost track of time. Hours and many doodles later, I realized how relaxed and rejuvenated I felt.

I love that doodling is mindless and, yet, still rewarding. It’s definitely a hobby I’m going to explore further, especially when I’m feeling stressed. What’s one way you decompress?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

February 13, 2020 at 9:42 pm

That’s awesome! And the picture is super cute!

My go-to for relaxing is almost always books. I love being transported into another world in a good story. I’m also a really big fan of adult coloring. If you like doodling, you might want to try it.

• alyssa-silva

February 14, 2020 at 9:20 am

Aw, thanks Halsey! Reading is definitely a close second to my favorite ways to de-stress. I’m trying to get into the habit of reading every night before bed to see if it will promote a night of more restful sleep. Do you color online or by hand? I’ve seen apps for it, so that’s why I’m asking!

• halsey-blocher

February 14, 2020 at 9:20 pm

I do a bit of both. I prefer actual coloring books. I look for ones that are small and pens or pencils that are vibrant without applying a lot of pressure. Even so, it can be tiring, so I also have a color by number app on my iPad. It’s called happy color. I like it because it has a wide variety of pictures and, unlike a lot of similar apps, they’re all completely free.