SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Weekly Journal – 05/06 Through 05/12

• My Weekly Journal – 05/06 Through 05/12

Posted by michael-morale on May 13, 2019 at 3:00 pm
    Monday, May 6, Through Sunday, May 12 – It seems as if each week tends to go by faster and faster. I was hoping that this week would follow suit. To my surprise, it did.
    While I usually spend the majority of the days in my home office, on Wednesday, my house was swarmed with carpenters putting down nearly $4000 of new carpet. I had my house built in 2000, so I guess it was time for some new carpeting. A few weeks ago, someone rear-ended my caregiver while she was driving my van. While there wasn’t a great deal of damage done to my van, it was still in the shop for 5 days. The insurance company provided me with another accessible van that we can use while mine was being repaired, but since it only took 5 days to get my van repaired and back to me, I never had to use it. My caregiver told me that my 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan drove better than the 2016 Dodge Caravan that they gave him as a loner. Suffice it to say, I was glad to get my van back in the garage where it belongs. One day turned into the next, and before long, my week was over.

This past week, when I went for my workout with Emily, she performed her 4 week reevaluation on me. The only thing that went wrong during this reevaluation was the measurements on my feet and ankles. My left foot, the one that I injured a few weeks ago, actually got better. My right foot, however, was a little more swollen than what I would’ve liked, and the test results were not as good. My strength tests were much better with regards to my core muscles, and I was still pleased with the overall results.
    I’m back on my hydrochlorothiazide, and will stay on this until I get the swelling in my feet and ankles down to a more manageable level. After performing our reevaluation, Emily and I worked on my core strengthening with the resistance bands and isometric exercises. Now that Emily’s physical therapy students are gone, I will resume working out with Emily, and her assistant Vicki. While I enjoyed working out with her student therapists, I’ve missed working out with Emily. You get used to working out with someone, and you don’t really realize how much you enjoy their company. It is been a few months since I saw Emily’s assistant, Vicki, because I was working out on Wednesdays, and this was usually her day off. Vicki said that she was excited that I was back on my Tuesday schedule, and I’m looking forward to my workout this coming week.
    When I go for my workout with Emily and Vicki next week, we will do all of my normal balance exercises along with the stretching and range of motion exercises. Instead of sitting me on the therapy table, Emily is now placing a therapy cushion under me. This is the type of cushion that they use for patients who have had foot injuries and are rehabilitating their ankles and feet. Two weeks ago, she had me sit me on this cushion, and it made my balance exercises much more difficult. By the time my balance exercises were over, I was sweating like a stuck pig. Maintaining my balance on this therapy cushion was a lot more difficult, and it definitely gave my abdominal muscles a great workout. Emily said that it would get easier over time, and I’m sure it will. My balance has definitely improved, and my core muscles are a key reason to my success.
    Emily did say that she was going to focus a lot more attention on the Achilles tendon’s. She does this by placing my foot flat on the therapy table, and by stabilizing my foot with one hand and pressing down on my knee with another hand, this not only stretches the calf muscle, it also stretches the Achilles tendon. We had been working out my left Achilles tendon quite a bit, due to my injury that I sustained a couple weeks ago, and she said that’s probably the reason why my reevaluation on my right foot was not as good as my left foot. Emily almost had a sheepish grin on her face when she said that she was going to pay more attention to the Achilles tendon on my right side, so I’m sure that my workout on Tuesday will be one that I’ll remember for quite some time. To be honest with you, I’m actually looking forward to it.

In this week’s video, I discussed the latest with regards to AveXis’s drug ZOLGENSMA. While there is not an exact date as to when the FDA is going to make their announcement, I do share a little information that I received about a possible date, along with discussing what’s been happening in my life for the past 2 weeks. Click HERE to view my video.

I’ve updated the flash briefings that I do for BioNews Services. Click HERE to go the flash briefings.

I hope that all of you had a fantastic week. Do something for yourself this upcoming week that will make you a better person. God bless you all, and I’ll see you soon.
    michael-morale replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.