SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Weekly Journal – 08/13 Through 08/19

• My Weekly Journal – 08/13 Through 08/19

Posted by michael-morale on August 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Monday, August, 13, Through Sunday, August 19 – This past week went by too quickly for me. Now that I’m working full time for BioNews Services, I seem to be much busier, which makes the days go by faster. We finally received over 3 inches of rain this past week, which was greatly appreciated by my yard and shrubs. I was finally able to turn the irrigation system off for a few days, which really makes me happy because free water means that I’m saving money on my water bill. Anytime I can save money on my bills, it definitely puts a smile on my face.

When I went to workout with Laura on Thursday, she told me that she received the slide bord, which will allow her to transfer me for my wheelchair to her adjustable table. This table will automatically move up and down, which will allow her to slide me out of my wheelchair onto the table so that we can begin stretching my hamstrings and quadriceps. This is very exciting for me because I am now going to be able to stretch these muscles which may help in some of the discomfort that I’m feeling in my right hip and leg. Last week, when I went to workout, Laura placed the palm of her hand under my left and right hamstrings and had me push with my legs to see if the hamstrings were activating like they should. She said that she did feel both of the hamstrings tighten and relax while I was pushing. She also did the same thing on the quadriceps which are the muscles on the top part of the leg. I’m not sure if we will use neuromuscular electronic stimulation on these muscles as of yet, but this will be determined when I go to work out with her next week. I know that these new exercises are going to be uncomfortable to go through at first, but Laura’s hopes and my hopes are that these muscles will begin to responded to the stretching and the exercises that we are going to be doing. Laura did tell me that I would probably have some sore muscles in the beginning, but this doesn’t bother me at all because I know that if these muscles are sore, we’re doing something to them that could eventually help me gain some strength in my legs which could also benefit me regarding improving my balance while sitting in my wheelchair. My caregivers are going on vacation next week, so I will go to workout on Monday before they leave so that I can get my workout accomplished for next week.

michael-morale replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 20, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Welcome to the BioNews full-time team! I hear ya there about the days going by quicker.

That’s really cool about the new equipment you have for PT. Let me know how that all goes.

• michael-morale

August 20, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Physical therapy went very well today. When I got there, they transferred me for my wheelchair onto the table. The first thing Laura did was to have me sit unassisted with my feet on the floor. I was able to sit for a little over two minutes unassisted. While both Laura and her student therapist were standing next to me, it was still nice to be able to balance myself. I was somewhat surprised at my success, as was Laura. After this, they laid me down on my back and began working on stretching my legs. While stretching my legs, they also flexed my feet and toes back to try to loosen some of these muscles. Stretching my legs was fine, but when they started pushing my feet and my toes backward, this got to be a little uncomfortable, but I hung in and gritted my teeth. Laura said I have good range of motion in my hips which was somewhat surprising to the both of us, and I think she was a little surprised as to how straight she could get my legs. She seems to be very optimistic with regards to future benefits. After getting me back in my wheelchair, we did all of my exercises on my neck muscles and then we called it a day.

I am a little bit sore right now in my right hip, but she said that this would probably get better throughout the day. I’m sure I’m probably going to be pretty sore for the first couple of treatments, but like I said in my journal entry, sore muscles mean that I’m actually working them and doing something to them. Overall, it was a great first workout on my legs.