SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA National Novel Writing Month

• National Novel Writing Month

Posted by blake-watson on August 3, 2021 at 6:07 pm

I know several of you around here write columns for SMA News Today. Do we have any creative writers here? I’m trying to decide whether to do National Novel Writing Month this year. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s a creative event where people attempt to write a 50k-word novel in the month of November.

I participated in it almost every year since 2010 but I stopped last year in order to do another November-based creative event, GitHub Game Off 2020, where you create a game in one month.

I can only do one of these and I’m still on the fence. But I was thinking NaNoWriMo might be fun if several of us are doing it. I used to be really involved in the local community as a Municipal Liaison but it started to become difficult to go to the write-ins and meetups (not to mention Covid, bleh).

I’m not a super serious writer (or a very good one ????) but I do love the idea of creating stories which, incidentally, you can also do with games. I’ve only managed to complete NaNoWriMo three times. I never edit them after the fact or try to publish them. I mainly just make my brother read the finished rough draft.

I do find it increasingly difficult to physically type, though. Over the past year I’ve gotten pretty adept at using speech recognition (I use software called Talon, which I gave a talk about recently), so I was thinking I might give it another shot.

kevin-schaefer replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 4, 2021 at 9:54 am

Hey Blake! I have attempted NaNoWriMo before. It’s a great challenge and a really cool community. Brie here does it as well.

What kind of stories do you write? I mostly write comic scripts.

• blake-watson

August 4, 2021 at 4:51 pm

What kind of stories do you write? I mostly write comic scripts.

I’ve written a YA sci-fi fantasy, a paranormal drama, and something that I don’t know how to classify… a cheesy action thriller maybe.

Mostly I just have a graveyard of ideas that only went one or two chapters. ????