SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Nebulizer treatments

• Nebulizer treatments

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 7, 2020 at 7:00 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone do daily neb treatments, albuterol or saline, as a preventative measure? I’ve been reading in various forums that many SMA folk do them every day.

I try to avoid albuterol at all costs just because it makes me shaky. So I’ll only do nebulizer treatments with albuterol when I have respiratory infections. I’ll do saline treatments towards the end of the infection when I’m breathing better. Sometimes I’ll also do saline when my allergies are bothering me.

But is this something I should do every day? Would love to hear your thoughts.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • yvette-haas

September 7, 2020 at 10:21 am

I do a nebulizer treatment every morning, while I still have my bipap mask on, before getting up for the day. I have been doing that for as long as I can remember… So probably for like 22+ years. I find that if I don’t do that, I feel like my lungs are not fully ready to function yet (honestly, though, I am not a morning person, so no part of me is ready to function yet).

If I’m sick, I will switch doing a treatment every six hours, but only do the one in the morning usually. Very rarely, like if I’m feeling oddly tired or going out in the evening, I’ll do a second one.

A few years ago, my doctor switched me from Albuterol to LevAlbuterol, since it has fewer side effects. Maybe you should try it?

• deann-r

September 7, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Like you Alyssa, I only use them when I’m sick. With the current health crises I made sure I have them on hand though.

• alyssa-silva

September 7, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Thanks for sharing that with me Yvette! I actually have Levalbuterol and use it when I’m having breathing troubles that aren’t associated with being sick. Basically I use it during allergy season, and it does the trick. It still makes me a little shaky but not as bad as regular albuterol. So glad to see you here! I’m glad your account is working. 🙂

DeAnn, yes! Being stocked up is so important. This just reminded me to take inventory, so thank you!