• New here

Posted by Deleted User on June 8, 2019 at 8:01 am

Hi!

I’m new to SMA (though not really, I guess).  I have numerous other medical conditions that have some overlapping symptoms and all of my issues have been assumed to be something else all my life. But despite treatments and surgeries, which helped some things, they didn’t help others. Recently, my daughter’s neuro did WES on her and compared mine and found I have a homozygous SMN1 mutation (this was after 2 geneticists missed it because it wasn’t reported by the lab!) Apparently, it is a known but rare mutation and my presentation is mild though I am quickly losing the use of my legs. The neuro and my geneticist say it makes sense with my history. I’ve been waiting a while to get in with Dr Sumner at Hopkins for someone help manage it. I see her on the 17th.

Anyway, I’m hopeful that I will be able to finally get some help and get out of my bedroom! Thanks for having me! 🙂

Robin

Deleted User replied 4 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

June 8, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Welcome Robin! I bet it’s kind of a relief to have a diagnosis to explain what you’ve been dealing with. Although it has gotten easier to diagnose, it still can be tricky like it was with cases like yours. We have a great community here, so feel free to browse through the topics, chime in and ask questions anytime. It’s great having you here. Hugs!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      June 9, 2019 at 7:14 am

Thanks, DeAnn! Yes, it is really a relief to have some answers.

• kevin-schaefer

June 10, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Welcome Robin!

Yeah, I imagine having some answers is a relief. Like DeAnn said, I think you’ll find this community to be really helpful and supportive. Feel free to ask us about Spinraza, living with SMA, or anything else. Thanks for joining!

• ryan-berhar

June 10, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Robin, good to hear from you. Let us know if you have any questions along the way, and we’ll do our best to answer them. Welcome aboard!

• helen-baldwin

June 11, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Hi, Robin, and welcome (you’re the first person I’ve welcomed because I had no clue how to do that. Now I have a little clue!)!

I agree that having a diagnosis is a huge first step in determining what comes next. I’ve only been with BioNews a short time, but it’s already apparent that this is a tremendously helpful and supportive group! I feel confident that you’ll be really glad you’re here 🙂

Sending positive beams that you’ll have an encouraging appointment on the 17th!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 12, 2019 at 10:49 am

Thanks so much, everyone!