SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA News Makes Me Nervous

• News Makes Me Nervous

Posted by deann-r on September 14, 2021 at 9:44 am

Typically I try not to dwell on the news. Especially when it involves variants with extra spikes. What? Anyway something I heard has been keeping me up at night. So, I thought I’d get your take on it. Although I’m a supporter of vaccines (they’ve saved my life a time or two,) I feel it’s a to each their own kind of thing. Of course I’d be thrilled if everyone around me had one. When I heard on the news the President wants to mandate vaccines for workers from companies with over 100 employees at first I had no qualms with it. While lying in bed I’m like, crap, I could lose 75% of my caregivers. Several of my PCA’s refuse to get the vaccine. Yes, including the one who gave me Covid. I wouldn’t doubt some of them would walk away from the job if required to get one. It’s so frustrating because with the job market the way it is it’s hard enough finding staff. So far I haven’t heard anything from the agency I use for PCA services. Avoiding rocking the boat I don’t want to inquire either. Do you guys know more about the mandate? Is it an actual thing or just talk? Please try not to make this political, I’m just looking for info and sharing my concern.

deann-r replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kelly-miller

September 14, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Yes, it’s an actual thing. Last week Biden gave a speech with his plan on mandates. One you might find particularly interesting is that any facility or agency that receives funds from Medicare and/or Medicaid is required to require their employees who take care of patients to not only wear masks but also get vaccinated. There are nurses all over the country who are walking away from jobs and running to other states where the governors are fighting the new mandates and promising to protect anyone’s job for the sake of the right to choose whether or not to get “the jab.” Those same nurses are being offered all kinds of signing bonuses to go work in these states, and it’s almost a given that this is going to end up in the Supreme Court for a decision on whether Biden’s plan is constitutional.

Did I keep it politics-free?

• deann-r

September 15, 2021 at 9:01 am

Thanks for the “political-free” (at least enough for me,) info. Do you know if there’s a timeline on the rollout? I just thought initially it was an individual organizations decision. Guess not anymore. There’s a clinic here requiring their employees be vaccinated and yes, employees have left because of it. At the moment there’s plenty of job opportunities that don’t require vaccination.