SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Physical Therapy Helps Damaged Muscles

• Physical Therapy Helps Damaged Muscles

Posted by michael-morale on April 18, 2019 at 5:19 pm

A little over a year ago, I started experiencing a lot of pain in my right hip and leg. My internist recommended that I go see a vascular surgeon to rule out any blood clots. After ruling out blood clots, the vascular surgeon recommended that I go through a CT scan. The CT scan results showed that I had severe muscle damage in my right hip and leg, probably due to the fact that I’ve been in a wheelchair for over 53 years. I was already taking physical therapy, so after I spoke to my therapist about the problems that I was having, and after she knew the doctors had ruled out blood clots, and I had clearance to continue with physical therapy, we started doing some stretching exercises to not only help the range of motion and flexibility in my legs, we would also be able to work the muscles around the hips and buttocks. In the pictures that I’m showing you in my article, you see my physical therapists bringing my knee up toward my body and then rotating my leg to work the muscle on the side of my leg and my hip. While it’s not the most comfortable flexing exercises to do, this has relieved nearly all of the discomfort that I’ve had in my right leg. I’m lucky that I still have good flexibility, being as old as I am, but these exercises have definitely helped.

Are you taking physical therapy, and if so, are you and your therapist working on flexing and range of motion exercises?

michael-morale replied 5 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.