SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Reading and Mental Health

• Reading and Mental Health

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 13, 2019 at 10:47 am

I know I’ve said this before, but reading helps me a lot with my mental health. Especially when I’m stressed or feeling burned out, there’s nothing like diving deep into a good book.

Currently I’m really enjoying “The Passage” by Justin Cronin, which was recently adapted into a tv show. I’m also reading a bunch of comics and graphic novels, which I always do. These days I’m reading mostly DC and indie books.

What are you reading? Do you have any recommendations?

halsey-blocher replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kelly-miller

February 13, 2019 at 3:16 pm

I agree with you Kevin, I think reading has helped me a lot with my depression. Even just reading something like a newspaper, or magazine, makes me think about other things than just sitting there being depressed. I got my aunt to give me a digital subscription to the NY Times this year, and I have never been so happy … and so well-informed! I can spend an entire day reading so much about so many different things. Then at night, before I go to bed, I always read at least a chapter of a novel. I believe doing all of that has made me feel much more alive.

• kevin-schaefer

February 13, 2019 at 3:35 pm

That’s great! Any novel recommendations?

• halsey-blocher

February 14, 2019 at 9:47 pm

I have been an absolute bookworm for my entire life! It can be such a wonderful distraction, as well as a great pass time. I personally will read just about anything, but I’m partial to sci-fi and fantasy, as well as Christian based novels. I’ve read so many books that it has become extremely difficult to pinpoint favorite books or authors, but if anyone is looking for a recommendation in a specific area, I can usually come up with something.