SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Recruiting and hiring caregivers

• alyssa-silva

May 24, 2023 at 5:14 pm

Super impressed by this Blake. Very professional looking.

Typically I find assistants through word of mouth. I tried doing an ad in a newspaper once and then conducted interviews. It was to take me to classes and such. And let’s just say the interviews went so poorly with the people who applied that I ended up taking my mom to campus with me until I eventually met students to help out.

Curious to hear how others go about it.

• deann-r

May 25, 2023 at 8:28 am

Like Alyssa, I only advertised in the paper once. Let’s just say the majority of applicants were not suitable for the job. Since Covid my usual avenues have been striking out. Facebook has changed and message boards don’t seem to attract people anymore. Honesty I’m at a loss as to finding anyone atm.

I think the app is a great concept. Question for you, maybe I missed it, how do you direct individuals to the app?

• blake-watson

May 25, 2023 at 11:21 pm

@drunge I advertise on Indeed. Even running a free/unsponsored ad can get pull in some applications. But I usually try to throw some money at it for better performance, because the position tends to attract a lot of low-quality applicants, as you’ve mentioned. To be honest, it can get pretty costly running paid ads. But yeah I really don’t know what else to do. Craigslist used to work okay but hasn’t lately.