SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Relying On My Parents More During the Holidays

• ryan-berhar-2

December 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Great column man! I particularly liked the part about how your parents‘ frustration is with the situation rather than with you. That’s a lesson I learned too, and the concept is applicable with all kinds of things. Sometimes a situation just sucks, and it’s not anyone’s fault.

• kevin-schaefer

December 6, 2018 at 10:02 am

Thanks! And yeah absolutely. It’s a good thing to remind ourselves of, especially when stress arises.

• halsey-blocher

December 5, 2018 at 9:40 pm

My nurses always get time off for the holidays to spend time with their families. Fortunetly, my mom also has time off around the holidays, so she is able to take over most of my care. A lot of times my family and I have the same plans this time of year, so it works out. I also like the part of your article about not being a burden. It can be hard to feel like like your bothering or interrupting, but I know my parents don’t mind helping.

• kevin-schaefer

December 6, 2018 at 10:04 am

Absolutely. And that’s good your Mom has time off as well. It’s the little things that help out big time.

• deann-r

December 6, 2018 at 11:57 am

Typically I go to my Mom’s or sister’s for the holidays, so my caregivers get the time off.  It’s kind of a lot of back & forth though when the holiday is mid-week because I usually spend a weekend with my Mom now & then.  Sucks in the winter because the roads are so unpredictable too.  I try not to put too much on any one person, but it usually works out.