Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Hey everyone, here’s my latest column:

Relying On My Parents More During the Holidays

I write about how my caregiving routine changes a bit during the holidays, and how have to rely more on my parents while my caregiver Randy has time off. My parents and I manage quite well, and you can read more about it here. Still, it’s always a little irritating when I have to make adjustments to my care routine. I’m sure all of us here can relate.

What about you all? For those of you with personal care assistants, do you rearrange their schedules to give them time off for the holidays?

Ryan Berhar
      Keymaster

Great column man! I particularly liked the part about how your parents‘ frustration is with the situation rather than with you. That’s a lesson I learned too, and the concept is applicable with all kinds of things. Sometimes a situation just sucks, and it’s not anyone’s fault.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Thanks! And yeah absolutely. It’s a good thing to remind ourselves of, especially when stress arises.

Halsey Blocher
      Participant

My nurses always get time off for the holidays to spend time with their families. Fortunetly, my mom also has time off around the holidays, so she is able to take over most of my care. A lot of times my family and I have the same plans this time of year, so it works out. I also like the part of your article about not being a burden. It can be hard to feel like like your bothering or interrupting, but I know my parents don’t mind helping.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Absolutely. And that’s good your Mom has time off as well. It’s the little things that help out big time.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

Typically I go to my Mom’s or sister’s for the holidays, so my caregivers get the time off.  It’s kind of a lot of back & forth though when the holiday is mid-week because I usually spend a weekend with my Mom now & then.  Sucks in the winter because the roads are so unpredictable too.  I try not to put too much on any one person, but it usually works out.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account