• Repeat Labs

Posted by deann-r on March 19, 2019 at 10:50 am

As with many who have SMA I’m difficult to draw blood from.  That’s why the pre-Spinraza labs are my least favorite part.  I was actually excited this time they got it in two pokes.  Unfortunately I got a call from the doctors office that they would like to repeat the blood work before my injection.  I’m not exactly sure why, I suppose I should’ve asked.  From the test results on MyChart I see my Prothrombin Time was 11.8 and standard is 9.1-10.9 sec and the INR is 1.2 when the standard is .9-1.1 INR.  Of course that’s Greek to me, but we’ll see what repeat labs show. Fingers crossed they’ll get it on the first poke and get the results they’re looking for.  Has anyone else had to repeat the blood work?

deann-r replied 4 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

March 19, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Blood work is the worst. They couldn’t get blood out of me if their lives depended on it.

• deann-r

March 20, 2019 at 8:22 am

After searching my arms, they did get it with one poke. It was what I call a poke & dig though because they kept moving the needle around to find a vein. Then when I got home they called and said I have to come back because the sample they got wasn’t good, so I’ll be heading back yet again. Third time’s the charm?

• ryan-berhar

March 20, 2019 at 9:07 pm

I hate when stuff like that happens. When I was trying to get Spinraza, they needed blood work to get my exact diagnosis. I went to two labs, had this dude come to my house, and all of them failed to get blood. After all that, I learned that the necessary information could be obtained from me spitting in a tube. Sometimes I’d facepalm if I had the arm strength.

• deann-r

April 9, 2019 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the tips Yvette! I definitely try to do extra hydration and warm packs. It certainly helps a little. I’m surprised they go for your hands. They hardly ever entertain that idea for me. Although I ‘m not sure they’d have any better luck.