SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do You See a Social Worker?

• Do You See a Social Worker?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 18, 2018 at 7:00 am

Since I began hiring caregivers in 2014, I’ve worked with a couple different social workers. I see one a couple times a year, and I can contact mine anytime I need something or make a change in my healthcare plan. I’ve had good and bad experiences with various government employees, but the social worker I have now is great. He checks in with me regularly and has been helpful getting me set up with caregiving agencies.

Do any of you see a social worker on a regular basis? If so, what has been your experience? I recommend seeking out a social worker if you’re trying to acquire caregivers or find employment opportunities.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

September 20, 2018 at 10:40 am

When I initially had a social worker I had to kind of argue with them to get what I needed.  Their suggestion was to stick me in a group home when I was working on striking out on my own (easier for them I assume.)  Of course I had other plans.  When they wouldn’t allow me to be alone overnight but would rather me just get a roommate than give me overnight coverage that didn’t fly either.  In college I made some good disability advocate connections so went to them, and they basically told them if they were requiring it they had to cover it, so now that’s what I have.

My social worker now is much more receptive.  She pretty much determines my caregiver hour allotment.  Although I only see her a couple times a year she’s available as needed.  She also can assist with requests that aren’t as typical such as the foam pad I get for my bed.  Currently I’m having her look into getting a ceiling lift to no avail so far.

• kevin-schaefer

September 20, 2018 at 11:12 am

Ugh, yeah that one sounds like a real pain. The first social worker I had wasn’t very helpful either, but I’m grateful for the one I have now. I’m glad you were able to find a better one eventually.

Keep me updated about the ceiling lift. I’ve had one for a couple years now, and I think insurance covered mine.