SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Self-Care Amid a Pandemic

• Self-Care Amid a Pandemic

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 2, 2020 at 11:32 am

Hey everyone. I’m curious… amid this quarantine/isolation, how are you practicing self-care?

Even though time seems to be at a standstill, I’m really relishing in this stillness that is a result of my isolation. It’s allowing more time to do the things that make my soul happy. And, in turn, it’s helping me to stay afloat during this emotionally taxing time.

Lately, I find myself creating— something I simply didn’t have time for in the past. Drawing/illustrating has been a hobby of mine since I was old enough to know the concept of pencil to paper. Now, with my weakened muscles, I create digital illustrations.

I am also making more room for rest— the ultimate self-care ritual that’s often overlooked. Whether it’s an online course or a binge session on Netflix, I pop in my headphones, ask my mom to make an iced latte with our Nespresso machine, and simply watch my laptop screen and relax. And, boy, it feels GOOD.

What about you? What are some of your self-care routines during this time?

halsey-blocher replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

April 2, 2020 at 9:17 pm

I also love being creative! I’m getting back into my coloring books lately. I’ve fallen out of the habit and I miss it. I’ve also been spending a lot of time watching movies and playing games with my family. We’re all very close anyway, but we’re enjoying the opportunity to spend more time together having fun.