SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Shoutout to Kinova Robotics

• deann-r

September 22, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Very cool. I think one common question might be with limited mobility how do you actually control it?

• kevin-schaefer

September 23, 2018 at 6:43 pm

So the arm is fully controlled by the joystick on my chair. Ryan and I both have severely limited arm strength, and we can control ours fine. I tell people that if you can operate an electric wheelchair, you can control one of these. Let me know if you want to look into one, or to just try one out.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 23, 2018 at 7:06 pm

It’s controlled with the joystick. So as long as you can operate your chair, you can operate JACO. You’d probably be surprised at how simple it is to install and operate.

• deann-r

September 23, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Another basic question I have, is it connected to your chair permanently? Also, is it cumbersome to work around for cares and such?

• ryan-berhar-2

September 23, 2018 at 9:31 pm

The mount, which takes up basically no space, is bolted on, so it’s more or less permanent. Putting the arm on and off is pretty simple. You just set it on the mount, tighten the clamps, and screw on the two cables. To take it off, simply reverse procedure. This process takes maybe a minute. I will say that it is a bit cumbersome. Depending on how you transfer, you may need to remove it each time. My dad can lift me over it, but my mom and grandma have a tougher time, though they do it anyway. I think it would work fine with a hoyer lift.