• Posted by deann-r on February 6, 2020 at 9:00 am

Wheelchairs wreck flooring.  When I moved into my house I quickly had to replace the plush light blue carpeting with a darker color low pile version.  I still track in, but at least it’s not as visible.  In general I don’t wipe off my tires unless they’re really muddy.  I might make a couple turns on the rug by the door hoping it’ll help.  Winter and spring are the worst with all the snow & slush.  It’s been so icy here I’m even tracking in salt.  My Mom makes me melt off on a rug at her house before I can go through the house & I have to avoid carpet if my wheels are wet or dirty.  You definitely need shoes or slippers to avoid stepping in a puddle.  What do you guys do about sloppy tires?  Any tips on avoiding tracking through the house?

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tracy-odell

February 6, 2020 at 10:06 am

I stay in the kitchen on the tile floor for twenty minutes or so until the snow melts off my wheels, and then the tiles get mopped off. If I’m in a hurry, though, I will get them wiped off with a towel.

• alyssa-silva

February 6, 2020 at 10:23 am

My poor hardwood floors are completely ruined from the salt my chair brings in. Sometimes I have someone hose my tires down outside if they’re really bad, but because I don’t sit in my wheelchair all day, I usually just park it in my room and get transferred out. The rug in my van is also completely torn apart. For that, I went to Staples and bought one of those plastic office mats and had my van’s mechanic install it for me.