• Spasms and cramps

Posted by julia-ayerbe on June 29, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Hi everyone, have any of you experienced attacks of cramps and spasms in the summer? I usually have cramps, a lot in the abdomen area, but in the summer they intensify with a lot of spasms … I am wondering if there is something I can do, it is very unconfortable

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

June 30, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Hey! I’m interested to see if others respond as I have had really debilitating spasms in my abdomen for the past 3 months. Like I mentioned in reply to your status, dehydration could be an issue. I swear I’m always dehydrated. But because it is abdominal perhaps IBS could be a culprit too? I am at a loss with my spasms so I know exactly how you feel. Hopefully, we find some answers soon. And if you do, please share them with me!! I will do the same 🙂

• julia-ayerbe

July 1, 2020 at 5:07 am

Hi Alyssa, thank you for your reply :). I think you are right, I´ve been more carefull about my hydration and I didn´t have any spasm or cramp in the last days, thank you for the advice! Anyway, it will be nice to understand more, why these spasms os cramps are frequently in the abdomen area (sometimes happens when I am laughing, or when I make other movement with these muscles). And, what do you mean by IBS? Sorry, I am not an English native speaker.

• alyssa-silva

July 1, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Sorry, Júlia! IBS is irritable bowel syndrome. Typically constipation or diarrhea are the most common symptoms. However, cramps and spasms are other signs as well. I’m told IBS can occur at any given time, but stress is often associated with this disease. It can also be genetic. There are plenty of resources online, but here’s a good overview for you: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20360016