SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Speed Reading Extension for Google Chrome

• Speed Reading Extension for Google Chrome

Posted by brianna-albers on May 13, 2019 at 11:00 am

Happy Monday, everyone! I thought I’d share an extension that I recently started using. I’m trying to read faster because there’s just not enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do. There are a whole bunch of techniques out there, but I’m trying to take things slow so I don’t burn out.

Sprint Reader is an extension for Google Chrome that helps you read faster—I’m currently at 400 words per minute! But it’s also helpful for fatigue. Instead of scrolling through an article or turning the page, I just have to highlight the text and let it do its thing. I’m reading faster, but I’m also conserving energy, so it’s really two birds with one stone.

Do you use any web browser extensions for accessibility reasons?

brianna-albers replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • bob-heitzman

May 13, 2019 at 11:58 am

I use Mercury Reader which tries to change the formatted page to plain text. Great for sites that are over animated and jump around as you are trying to read them.

• brianna-albers

May 17, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I use BeeLine Reader for similar reasons! It’s so useful.

• kelly-miller

May 13, 2019 at 1:40 pm

I use a Dragon Naturally Speaking ext. to make some sites easier for Dragon to work with. Unfortunately, there are developers who just don’t care about accessibility, so their websites have parts that I can’t get to do anything (Facebook & Instagram, as a matter of fact!) One in particular is MICROSOFT EDGE (the proprietary browser that likes to take over how we view things – you’d think Microsoft would have done a better job at reaching everyone! Ah, but I digress…) as it doesn’t allow Dragon to work AT ALL. What’s their answer to this problem? Why, use their built-in Microsoft speech recognition software, of course!

I also use an emoji ext. for Chrome that puts all the possible emojis in one place. You can click on the ext. (which is a multi-colored heart) & it will pull up categories with them divided out. The pics are bigger, so they’re easier to see what you want, and they seem easier to get to. You just click on the one you want, & it goes to your text wherever the cursor is.

I never thought of this one as using for accessibility, but I guess it does cut down on the amount of times I have to click or travel to other websites. I’m talking about Honey, a cute little ext. that will check the price on an item you are thinking of purchasing while it’s in your cart to see if there are any lower prices or coupons available on any other shopping site. The problem is I’m so used to bargain shopping for everything I want all the time, trolling every possible online store to get the best deal on the planet, that I do it without thinking before I put the item in my cart. That kind of defeats the purpose of Honey.

I’m definitely going to check out that speed-reading thing. I love to read, and there are probably a thousand more books on my list right now – with Amazon sending me another free one every single month! It would be so much easier for me if I could read faster. Thanks for the tip Brianna. Please, everybody, give me more, give me more!

• brianna-albers

May 17, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Ahhh I love Honey! It’s so useful. But ugh, sorry Microsoft is such a pain. 🙁 You’d think they’d be better at that kind of stuff!

• ryan-berhar

May 13, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Interesting. I feel like I read slowly. Might have to try it out.

• brianna-albers

May 17, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Let me know what you think! I’m up to 500 wpm now. 🙂