SMA News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ Info ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions storage and access to school material

• storage and access to school material

Posted by CDTurner on December 5, 2023 at 10:24 am

Hello Everyone,

I am an OT who works with two middle school students with SMA. We are trying to come up with a solution to how to carry items (computer, notebooks, folders) from class to class. They both want to be able to store items themselves at the end of class and then get items back out they need for the new class after they transition. Contractures and hand strength limit the range in which they can reach items, mostly they are able to reach their lap area and arm rests. We have tried a arm rest saddlebag, but it is too much lateral movement to reach and be able to grab. I’m wondering if anyone has advice or has used something to carry items they have independent access to. I would love any advice.

Thank you,

Dave

deann-r replied 4 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

December 5, 2023 at 5:33 pm

Hey Dave! Thanks for reaching out. When I was in school I rigged a messenger style bag to sit on my feet. It was easier for me to reach in front of me. Sometimes if a book was heavy I still needed assistance from a classmate to pull it out. After class I could just slide it off the table into the bag. I know some folks like using a wheelchair tray. Wasn’t my favorite but you could stack what you needed on the tray.

Since wheelchairs and abilities vary you just have to play around to see what suits them. Good luck! If you find what works we’d love to hear about it.