SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Summer Activities When You Have SMA

• Summer Activities When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 22, 2018 at 3:30 pm

The wintertime makes it extremely difficult for me to go outside much. If it drops below 50 degrees, my hands freeze up and it becomes a strain just to drive my wheelchair. I spend my winters reading, working, watching TV and keeping social activities to my house or to indoor places. Even then, I still caught pneumonia earlier this year and spent the majority of the month of February dealing with that.

During the summers however, I try to take advantage of the warm weather and get outside more. I walk my dog, go on family vacations, eat out a lot (though I do that throughout the year) and go to comic cons in my area with friends. I’ve attached a few pics of these trips from recent years.

My family and I are huge Disney fanatics, so Disney World is a regular vacation spot for us. Though it is getting harder to travel with just my parents, my caregiver comes with me on trips when he can. He’ll be joining us at the Cure SMA conference in Dallas this year.

Also, the picture of my Dad and I swimming is from a while ago. It’s not as feasible for him to get me in and out of the pool anymore, but fortunately I get plenty of pool time every week doing water therapy. That’s definitely something I recommend for anyone with SMA, if it’s an option for you.

Also, check out this column I wrote last year about traveling without my parents, and what that experience was like: https://smanewstoday.com/2017/05/23/sma-travel-planning-my-first-trip-without-my-parents/?amp

It takes some extra preparation to figure out the logistics, but it’s well worth it. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about traveling. My family and I are professionals when it comes to road trips.

What about you all? What things do you like to do over the summer?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.