• Posted by alyssa-silva on July 9, 2020 at 11:07 am

I feel like I’m one of the few people with SMA who would rather be cold than warm. The thought of wrapping up in cozy blankets by a fire than stripping down to minimal clothing and desperately searching for air-conditioned buildings sounds way more appealing to me. Sorry not sorry!

So, the summer heat and I don’t have the best track record. I’ve always been this way, but in the last few years, it’s gotten worse. I live where the heat is mostly just humidity and not dry heat which could be a factor. But in the heat of the summer, I can’t go outside without feeling faint.

I don’t think it’s a hydration issue as I’ve ruled that out. Perhaps it’s a respiratory issue with the humidity? My O2 levels are fine though. I’m really not sure what it is.

Do you get lightheaded (or simply unwell in general) when it’s humid outside? I’m wondering if this is an SMA thing or an Alyssa thing.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

July 12, 2020 at 7:31 pm

I’m actually the opposite. When others are melting I’m comfortable. Humidity can bother me, but it has to be quite bad to get to me. Have you tried those cooling towels? Haven’t tried them myself, but I’ve heard good things. It might help if you wrap it around your neck before you go out in the heat.

• alyssa-silva

July 13, 2020 at 9:48 am

You know… I bought a cooling towel years ago and never used it. I wonder if I still have it somewhere. That’s a good idea— thank you!

• dennis-turner

July 14, 2020 at 5:33 pm

My wife complains when i sit directly in the sun and it is over 90. Me, i love it. It is probably the only time i don’t feel chilly.

• alyssa-silva

July 15, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Too funny. I really am beginning to think I’m the only one who despises the heat!