SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Surgery Anniversary

• Surgery Anniversary

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 6, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Through Facebook, I was reminded that my throat surgery was seven years ago. I was a senior in high school at the time, and I had this operation to clear the airwaves in my throat. Prior to this surgery, my sleep apnea was at an all-time high and I was getting constant migraines during the day.

This surgery was a game-changer for me. While I had to endure the pain of going on a liquid diet for two weeks, it was well worth it. I now sleep and breath much better, and I really don’t know how I would have made it through college if I hadn’t had this operation. This and my spinal fusion in 2005 are the only major surgeries I’ve had in my life, and both did wonders (I don’t count Spinraza, since I never had to undergo surgery for it).

Has anyone here had to have a similar operation? What was the experience like? Was it beneficial?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • david-z

September 11, 2018 at 10:25 pm

I haven’t heard about throat surgery with SMA. What specific surgery was it? Do you know the technical medical name for it?

• kevin-schaefer

September 12, 2018 at 11:50 am

David I had to look it up, but the exact name of the procedure was Uvulopalatoplasty, tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy. I know, quite a mouthful. It helped a lot by clearing the airwaves in my throat, which made it easier for me to breathe at night.

• david-z

September 13, 2018 at 1:12 am

Very enlightening; thanks for posting this info! I certainly can find it difficult to breathe if my neck isn’t positioned right. I assume your surgery was performed under general anesthesia?

• kevin-schaefer

September 13, 2018 at 9:39 am

It was. They put me in ICU directly after, and then I stayed in the hospital for a few days. Most of the recovery was done at home though.

But yeah, prior to this surgery I had intense sleep apnea and constant migraines. I now only get up a couple times a night to shift positions, and I can’t remember the last time I had a migraine.

• deann-r

September 12, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Have to say I’ve never heard of that one Kevin. Glad it’s helped you.  Can certainly see where something like that would be beneficial.  I do wish I would have had my tonsils out as a kid. They’ve been nothing but trouble for me.

• kevin-schaefer

September 12, 2018 at 1:14 pm

It’s been beneficial for sure, and the recovery was nowhere near as intense as my spinal fusion surgery in ‘05. If you have any questions about it let me know.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 12, 2018 at 4:40 pm

The only major surgery I’ve had is a spinal fusion. It worked wonders for my health. Prior to the surgery, I had pneumonia multiple times a year. Since the surgery 13 years ago, I’ve had pneumonia once.

• kevin-schaefer

September 13, 2018 at 9:41 am

Yeah the fusion was really helpful for me as well. I had mine the summer before I started middle school.