This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 5 months ago by Kevin Schaefer.

• Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Through Facebook, I was reminded that my throat surgery was seven years ago. I was a senior in high school at the time, and I had this operation to clear the airwaves in my throat. Prior to this surgery, my sleep apnea was at an all-time high and I was getting constant migraines during the day.

This surgery was a game-changer for me. While I had to endure the pain of going on a liquid diet for two weeks, it was well worth it. I now sleep and breath much better, and I really don’t know how I would have made it through college if I hadn’t had this operation. This and my spinal fusion in 2005 are the only major surgeries I’ve had in my life, and both did wonders (I don’t count Spinraza, since I never had to undergo surgery for it).

Has anyone here had to have a similar operation? What was the experience like? Was it beneficial?

David Z
      Participant

I haven’t heard about throat surgery with SMA. What specific surgery was it? Do you know the technical medical name for it?

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

David I had to look it up, but the exact name of the procedure was Uvulopalatoplasty, tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy. I know, quite a mouthful. It helped a lot by clearing the airwaves in my throat, which made it easier for me to breathe at night.

David Z
          Participant

Very enlightening; thanks for posting this info! I certainly can find it difficult to breathe if my neck isn’t positioned right. I assume your surgery was performed under general anesthesia?

Kevin Schaefer
          Keymaster

It was. They put me in ICU directly after, and then I stayed in the hospital for a few days. Most of the recovery was done at home though.

But yeah, prior to this surgery I had intense sleep apnea and constant migraines. I now only get up a couple times a night to shift positions, and I can’t remember the last time I had a migraine.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

Have to say I’ve never heard of that one Kevin. Glad it’s helped you.  Can certainly see where something like that would be beneficial.  I do wish I would have had my tonsils out as a kid. They’ve been nothing but trouble for me.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

It’s been beneficial for sure, and the recovery was nowhere near as intense as my spinal fusion surgery in ‘05. If you have any questions about it let me know.

Ryan Berhar
      Keymaster

The only major surgery I’ve had is a spinal fusion. It worked wonders for my health. Prior to the surgery, I had pneumonia multiple times a year. Since the surgery 13 years ago, I’ve had pneumonia once.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Yeah the fusion was really helpful for me as well. I had mine the summer before I started middle school.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.