SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Taking Accutane for Acne Brings the Stress of Bloodwork

• Taking Accutane for Acne Brings the Stress of Bloodwork

Posted by brianna-albers on April 23, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hi everyone! I hope you had a good weekend. My newest column is up today, in which I talk about the stress of getting blood taken. I’m starting Accutane, which is an intensive acne treatment, and because there are birth defects associated with the medication, I have to get monthly bloodwork to prove I’m not pregnant. I understand the reasoning for it, but it’s still frustrating that I can’t indicate I’m abstinent or something like that.

I have really bad veins, so I went on a whole search to find a place capable of ultrasound-guided draws. It took me the better part of a day and several phone calls, but I was eventually able to schedule an appointment at Gillette Children’s infusion center. The ultrasound wasn’t available the day I was there so I’m going back in a few days to try again. Fingers crossed they’re able to get some blood!

Do any of you have troubles with bloodwork? If so, do you know of any workarounds? I’d love to hear them!

brianna-albers replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

April 23, 2019 at 11:28 pm

No one on the planet could get blood out of me if their lives depended on it. Lol

• brianna-albers

April 25, 2019 at 7:28 pm

I feel that! It’s so frustrating 😂