SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ How do you accommodate your child’s needs: Thanksgiving Edition

• How do you accommodate your child’s needs: Thanksgiving Edition

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 20, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Safe to say I wasn’t aware that Thanksgiving is already next week. I mean, I knew it was the 28th— but I truly thought there were still a few weeks in between. This month flew by!

On Thanksgiving, my parents and I head to my brother’s house where we have lunch AND dinner with about 30 of our closest relatives. Yes, 30!

My brother’s house isn’t accessible, but his backyard has one step onto the deck and another into his house. We bring a clunky, albeit handy, portable ramp so I can get in.

Growing up, though, we traveled to my grandparents’ house that wasn’t at all accessible. As a result, I’d be carried in and would sit in a chair with about 20 pillows at the table. It wasn’t very comfortable, and I’d end up on the couch soon after.

Visiting family is challenging due to lack of accessibility. How do you make it work around the holidays? Do you pack up your child’s equipment and carry everything in? Do you volunteer to host in order to accommodate your child? Or do you simply have your own separate traditions at home?

My parents didn’t have any added equipment (ie. cough assist, g tube supplies, vents, etc.) to bring into someone’s home, so I’m sure that made things simpler when transferring me from the car to the house. (I’m also pretty small.) But, I have friends who do this with their children often, and I wonder how it affects their holiday visiting plans.

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

November 20, 2019 at 8:59 pm

We have hosted for as long as I can remember. Our family is usually pretty understanding of how much easier this is for us.

• alyssa-silva

November 21, 2019 at 3:21 pm

That’s so awesome and makes me happy. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Halsey!

• halsey-blocher

November 21, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Thanks! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well!