SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA This Summer Has Been Challenging

• This Summer Has Been Challenging

Posted by ryan-berhar on August 15, 2019 at 5:37 pm

As a kid, summer was my favorite season.  I did not like school at all, so naturally, summer was a time that I cherished.  Since I graduated, however, summer has become my least favorite season. I thrive on structure, and summer is when structure goes out the window.  Typically, I am at my grandparents’ house Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, and at home with my immediate family the other four nights.  During the summer, this schedule is entirely disrupted. I can’t remember the last time I had a normal week. I don’t like going back-and-forth between houses anyway,  but it’s nice to at least have a schedule.  The change in schedule is primarily due to my family/caregivers traveling. I’m not able to travel much myself, so I often stay behind with whoever is not going somewhere. The point is not to complain about my inability to travel, or that I’m being left out, I’m just explaining the cause of the problem.

We also have a lot more company in the summer, which also contributes to the schedule being more fluid. My siblings are also home from school.

These challenges are always associated with summer, but this particular summer has been tough in other ways as well. I’m somewhat struggling with where I am in life. My two best friends both got married within a month of each other, which I’m sure you can imagine fills me with all kinds of emotions. I’m also looking into getting more work, which is a bit stressful.

It’s been a difficult season, and I’m ready for it to be over. Football is almost here! Do you guys have similar struggles with maintaining structure during the summer?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • survivinglife

August 15, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Personally, I love AND hate summer. I love summer cuz it gives me more time to work on my screenplays and movie ideas. But after awhile I feel like I’m fading away since I’m not learning math or anything. I’ve always struggled in school, despite being a pretty curious person. I want to know so many different things, but sometimes its really hard for me to understand some of the simplest things. I love school cuz I have the opportunity to learn and grow, but its frustrating and time consuming. Summer is more flowing. In terms of structure though, I don’t have the same structure as I do during the school year but my days and weeks are still structured. That’s just how my whole family function best.

• ryan-berhar

August 16, 2019 at 6:20 pm

There are definitely positives and negatives to each season. Thanks for sharing!

• deann-r

August 17, 2019 at 9:05 am

Sorry summer is so stressful for you Ryan. I happen to love summer. Because I don’t have to get bundled up I can get out and about more often. Yes, my schedule seems to fluctuate more, but it’s easier to get openings covered when weather isn’t a factor. It seems like I can move better when I’m not cold too. My feet are actually pink instead of purple. Plus germs tend to take a hiatus during summer months.

I dread that fall is almost here. Even though it’s a beautiful season I never know when the last nice day will be. Let’s face it pumpkin spice everything gets old fast. Winter by far is my least favorite. I pretty much despise every minute of it.

• ryan-berhar

August 19, 2019 at 4:12 pm

I definitely agree from a weather perspective. It’s just that that’s pretty much the only thing summer has going for it for me. I hate the cold, believe me, but that’s just one aspect of the seasons.