SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Too Close for Comfort

• Too Close for Comfort

Posted by deann-r on November 1, 2020 at 2:00 pm

What’s the situation like in your area? Here it’s getting too close for comfort. Mom informed me our county has the fastest growing numbers in the state. I live independently with limited staff. Today my daytime PCA informed me that her mother is waiting on test results to see if she’s positive. Since she doesn’t live with her mom I agreed she could work as long as she washed her hands and wore a mask. I’ve been wearing a mask while my PCA’s are here as well. Later she texted me that another client she works closely with tested positive. Although we take precautions I don’t feel comfortable with this. Especially since she’s been complaining of “allergies” for the last week or so. Mom said she’d fill in this week. On one hand I feel bad for not having her work. On the other I have to protect my health. I really don’t know how long to have her off though. Since my staff is limited I can’t really afford to have her out too long. I’ve resisted adding staff because of the health crisis as well. How would you guys handle this?

deann-r replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • robert-stump

November 16, 2020 at 11:05 pm

I’m in the same boat, and for me feels like we are getting so close to being able to take the vaccine, and it would be terrible to get it now after working so hard to stay away from it!  I know if I would get a bad case of it I would have a hard time, but honestly I’m more worried about my parents catching it because they would need to help take care of me during my recovery.  They are in their 70s with various health problems so I’m having a hard time with thinking the happy thoughts right now.  I feel like I should be happy right now too with the super positive news on the vaccines 🙁

• deann-r

November 20, 2020 at 10:38 am

Exactly!