SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Tools for SMA Individuals: the JACO Robotic Arm

• Tools for SMA Individuals: the JACO Robotic Arm

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 21, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Me using my JACO Robotic Arm at HeroesCon 2016

Like many SMA individuals, my arm and upper-body strength began to deteriorate significantly during my late teens and early twenties. Whereas I used to be able to raise my hand in class and lift a sandwich to my mouth, eventually I lost all of those abilities. Today, the most I can do with my hands is driving my chair, pressing some switches and buttons and moving my hands slightly across my tray.

What saved me was a device I received in 2016 from the company Kinova Robotics. Check out their website at http://www.kinovarobotics.com.

I wrote this article a while ago to explain the technical components and uses of the JACO 3-fingers Robotic Arm. This device has transformed my independence since I acquired it. With it I can eat, drink, pick up small objects and push elevator buttons. There are plenty of other functions that it’s capable of, but these are just a few.

For those who are attending the Cure SMA conference in Dallas, Texas in a few weeks, I am happy to meet with you in person and answer any questions you have about this device. Feel free also to reach out to me here.

In terms of how I acquired mine, my family and I raised most of the money through GoFundMe. The company that manufactures it then paid for the rest. The arm does cost an insane $50,000, so I would recommend going the fundraising route instead of trying to convince insurance to pay for it. It’s your choice, but I personally would recommend creating a fundraising page.

This arm has been, and remains, a life-changing piece of technology for me. I still encounter strangers who marvel at it when they see me use it, and I actually don’t mind! It’s remarkable, innovative and I know so many people in the SMA community who could benefit from having one.

https://smanewstoday.com/2017/10/18/tools-to-help-sma-individuals-the-jaco-robotic-arm

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.