SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Transitioning to Life After College When You Have SMA

• Transitioning to Life After College When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 29, 2018 at 12:29 pm

I wanted to start a discussion here about life after college. For those of you who are upperclassmen or are just thinking about career options, I’m curious what you all are considering and what you’re interested in. I know when I graduated in December 2016, I wasn’t sure what I’d do other than look for freelance writing opportunities. Fortunately, I ended up finding out about SMA News Today, and I’ve been working full-time for this site since September of last year.

I do live at home with my parents, and my caregiver works with me throughout the week. I’m able to make a solid income through this job, which was essentially created for me. And even though I work full-time here, I’m still technically a freelancer. So I work for myself basically.

Generally I’ve found that thinking outside the box and finding a way to be self-employed is how myself and other SMA people I know have made it work. When I first graduated I applied for tutor positions and even a government job (I still shudder when I think about that horrible decision) with my city’s parks and rec department. Nothing came of any of the applications I sent out, and I’m glad they didn’t. I’d have been miserable working some dead-end job. As a freelancer I can work here for BioNews, and also focus on my comics work. I’m creating new opportunities as they come along, which is really the best advice I have for other SMA folks. We’ve still got a ways to go to convince corporations out there that we are more than capable of working and contributing to society, but that doesn’t mean we can’t create our own jobs and opportunities.

I know all of that is a little vague, but I’m just saying that the most successful SMA people I know are entrepreneurs and freelancers. What about all of you? What are your goals, interests, etc.?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 12 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.