SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Transportation update -getting to appointments

• Transportation update -getting to appointments

Posted by deann-r on November 3, 2023 at 10:00 am

How do you get to your appointments?
    As you may know I struck out after contacting 7 transportation companies to get a ride to my annual neurology appointment 2 ½ hrs away. They either wouldn’t take my insurance, wouldn’t call me back, or didn’t have drivers. A friend rearranged her schedule to drive Mom’s unreliable minivan. On the Friday before my appointment, I got a call from the original company I’ve used in the past confirming my ride for Monday. What!?

Initially, they said I couldn’t book a ride more than a month in advance. When I contacted them again, they said they didn’t have a driver. I asked to be notified if anything changed. I guess confirming the ride was their notification?

Sounding confused, she said they could cancel, but now that I had the appointment, I kept it. Then I proceeded to stress the whole weekend that they’d show up and I made the right call.

It all worked out as it usually does. I am not looking forward to doing it all again next year. I did try suggesting a virtual appointment, but the neurologist didn’t seem on board with that idea.

Do you do virtual appointments? I think the main hesitation was it’s harder to do the PT assessment and PFTs.

susana-m replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

November 6, 2023 at 10:50 am

You know… before I even got to your question I was reading this and thinking, “I wonder if she’s ever done virtual appointments.” Clearly, we’re on the same wavelength.

I do virtual appointments all the time. I’m also at the hospital for appointments all the time so it’s a balance. Are there any other times during the year when you go to in-person appointments at the same facility? Could you do the PT assessment and PFTs at a separate time?

• susana-m

November 20, 2023 at 3:01 pm

As if dealing with disability isn’t enough, organizing transportation can be a nightmare. Most people don’t have to think about accessible transportation: how far do they go? how many people are we picking up along the way?? what’s this going to cost in time & money???

I am grateful that in a city like Miami we do have door-to-door rideshare service, but I empathize with the obstacles when you’re far from your doctors.

That said, I do virtual appointments all the time now. The amount of info they’re going to get will be a little less but still relevant and valuable. If your neurologist is dead set against virtual, maybe ask what they think about sending a resident or an intern to be with you during the appointment at your house? Even a phlebotomist if you need to have labs done or a PT if that perspective is useful.

The world post Covid has become a little more flexible in terms of access. I’m surprised that your doctor hasn’t explored some of those options.