• Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 26, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Hey everyone. Now that spring is here (sort of), and people are traveling for spring break or planning summer vacations, I wanted to talk about traveling.

When I go on a trip with either my family or my caregiver and friends, I only travel by van. I flew once when I was a kid, but I barely remember it, and flying is pretty difficult for me. Road trips are much more feasible.

I just wanted to start a general discussion about this topic. What do you all do for travel? Any crazy vacation stories? I know my family and I have dealt with everything from our van breaking down to hotels not having the accommodations that we requested in advance.

I’d love to hear your experiences, tips and questions. I’ll be going to New York for a week in the beginning of April, and my family and I try to do at least one trip per year.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

March 29, 2018 at 9:37 pm

We only travel by van as well.  We recently downsized from a full sized van with an automatic lift to a minivan with a pull out ramp.  It was also a change as we went from side entry to rear entry.  I’m liking the rear entry.  Also less to go wrong with a non mechanical ramp.  Was nervous if we could fit everything in the minivan because we take my hoyer lift and commode, but we squeezed it all in.

Hotels are tricky as the beds seem to be blocked underneath preventing the hoyer from going under them.  Not quite sure what to ask to clarify that when we book a room.  Does anyone else run into that issue?  Hotels definitely don’t have the comforts of home.  We usually bring a feather bed too.

I do envy those who can travel.

• kevin-schaefer

April 8, 2018 at 11:40 am

I hear you. I just got back from New York City and the hotel room was pretty crammed. A couple days I just had my Dad wash me in bed, as I really didn’t want to have to deal with my bathroom seat in such a confined space. We made it all work and it was a great trip, but I was ready to get home.

Have you looked into getting an MV1? That’s the van we use now, and it has so much more space than any other car we’ve had.