SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Typing Solutions for Weak Arms

• Typing Solutions for Weak Arms

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 12, 2020 at 11:00 am

As I mentioned recently (I think last week?), I am experiencing the Spinraza slump right now. Because of this, my already weak arms are exceptionally weak these days. And as a writer, I don’t have time for that haha.

I currently use my phone to type. Whether it’s in a Google doc or through my WiFi mouse app that connects to my laptop, it works pretty well. However, with my limited energy as of late, it has become more tiring more quickly.

What do you use to type? Do you find voice recognition software easier? I try to use the microphone on my phone sometimes but it normally doesn’t understand me. I’m wondering if something a little more high tech would work though.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ronald-borgschulte

November 12, 2020 at 11:13 am

There’s a product called Ergo ArmRest that is inexpensive and may be beneficial.  Or you could consider a more sophisticated arm support – either mechanical or powered.  These require insurance approval.

• nikki

November 13, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Hey Alyssa, I totally get what you are going through. So spinraza wears off usually by the third month. Stick with it, they say for the adults like ourselves it gets better by the 3rd year. Although I don’t know how long you’ve been with it. I’m in my second year , it will be three years for me in June 2021. Regarding typing, I use voice for everything. But I will say that if we lack bass to project our voice, these apps capabilities do not work well. For me I dictate specifically when I’m doing voice. I’m using voice right now on my Word document then I will copy paste it to the post here so that you can read it. I am dictating sort of in a staccato mode. It seems to pick it up easier. I also have a microphone on my desk that has a gooseneck so that I can bend it towards my mouth and it’s kind of tall so that it reaches up close to my mouth. It’s about 3 inches from my mouth right now. I believe it’s brand name is Fifine.

• alyssa-silva

November 16, 2020 at 9:45 am

This was so helpful, thanks Nikki! I will definitely look into Fifine. Unfortunately, it’ll be 4 years in December since taking Spinraza, so I don’t think that hypothesis applies to me 🙁 haha it’s all good though.

• alyssa-silva

November 16, 2020 at 9:45 am

This was so helpful, thanks Nikki! I will definitely look into Fifine. Unfortunately, it’ll be 4 years in December since taking Spinraza, so I don’t think that hypothesis applies to me 🙁 haha it’s all good though.