SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Using Weights for Aquatic Therapy

• Using Weights for Aquatic Therapy

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 4, 2018 at 11:00 am

For the past few months, my physical therapist has been putting weights on my legs and having me do exercises with them on. She keeps them on me for a few minutes during each appointment, and keeps me in an upright position while I kick and move my arms.

I was a bit skeptical about this at first, but I have to say it’s been very helpful. For one, it helps to be propped in an upright position. It gives me more flexibility and it helps to stretch my muscles.

For those of you who do aquatic therapy, do you use weights at any point during your appointments? Do you find them to be helpful?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • mike-b

December 14, 2018 at 1:49 pm

I use weights (2.5lbs) on my legs for the first few minutes that I am in the pool. The weights help stretch out my leg muscles and allow me to straighten out my legs easier. An added benefit for me is that the weights provide me more stability, as I am super buoyant (as are most SMA individuals I would imagine due to lack of muscle mass) and the weights help keep my legs down, like a sinker on a fishing line helps keep the bobber upright.

• kevin-schaefer

December 20, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Very cool. Yeah I think the weights I use are about the same weight. Like you said, they help me balance and do some good exercises with my legs. Do you go to water therapy or do you just use your own pool? I remember at the conference you said you had a private pool you used.

• ryan-berhar-2

December 20, 2018 at 9:37 pm

From what I understand, not only does this help stretch, but it also helps lung function. I think it’s a worthwhile part of acquatic therapy for sure.