SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Voice Access on Android 11

• Voice Access on Android 11

Posted by robert-stump on December 4, 2020 at 7:21 pm

I just came across this new functionality supposedly available on the newest android operating system.  It is a greatly improved version of the accessibility feature called Voice Access which lets you click on things and interact with the phone just by saying numbers and certain phrases.  This new update looks to be a game changer.  Unfortunately Android 11 is not available just yet, but if you happen to have the pixel 4 you can load the beta onto your device.  Of course, only the top-tier phones will eventually get android 11 but this is something to consider if you are in the market for a phone you can make it do stuff by just telling it what to do!

Here is a link to the video showing off its power: https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1270808199143120897?s=20

jim-schneider replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • robert-stump

December 4, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Actually, even better news.  Google went ahead and released this new functionality for any phone running Android 6 and above.  It won’t work as smoothly on older hardware, but I just tried it out on my Moto X4 running android 8 and it looks like all of the functionality is there.  Of course, my voice isn’t near as clear as it needs to be to make this completely usable, but I was able to browse around on Twitter without touching my phone at all.  I like it!

You can download Voice Access on the Google Play Store now, though you might need to enable beta testing to get the newest functionality.  To enable it, open the Google Play app and Tap (help) Help & feedback in the top right corner of the screen. Tap (more_vert) More in the top right corner of the screen, then select View in Google Play Store. Scroll down to the Become a beta tester section, then tap I’m In.

• jim-schneider

December 11, 2020 at 7:02 am

Between voice access and Google Assistant I am able to do anything I want on the phone without ever touching it! Google is doing unbelievable things for the disabled community, check it out.