SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Wait, stairs aren’t accessible?

• deann-r

February 21, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I had a similar experience when my sister and I went to get tattoos.  It amazes me that businesses don’t even give it a second thought.  Ended up going elsewhere.  What do you do when a business or restaurant isn’t accessible?  It’s happened to me surprisingly often.  Most often I don’t make an issue of it and go somewhere else, or patiently wait as the party I’m with checks it out.  From their end most often a cost issue is cited.  They feel bad, but not enough to change anything.  From my perspective it saddens my heart and feels like silent discrimination.  Might as well put a sign on the door, “Wheelchair users not welcome.”  What do you think?

• kevin-schaefer

February 21, 2018 at 2:11 pm

It really is a shame. I run into this issue occasionally, but fortunately not terribly often. If it does happen I usually notify the manager, but if it’s a case like Brianna’s here where she asked in advance if the place was accessible and they lied to her, I think it’s worth taking legal action.

• deann-r

February 25, 2018 at 8:01 pm

I don’t think I would hassle with legal action, but it sure would be frustrating.

• alyssa-silva

February 27, 2018 at 7:34 pm

So often I encounter experiences like this. Just the other day, I drove by a church whose ramp began at the edge of a sidewalk curb. Having a ramp to avoid stairs and inaccessibility kind defeats the purpose when there’s a step to get onto the ramp. Guess I won’t be going there anytime soon!

• kevin-schaefer

March 1, 2018 at 11:36 am

I hear you. When I was in college there were buildings just like that. Really? Who designed that? It’s a shame that this kind of inaccessibility is still a problem in many places.

• deann-r

March 2, 2018 at 1:45 pm

I did a double take when I saw a sidewalk being poured leading to a ramp and they were pouring a step into the sidewalk!  Hoping I was wrong or there was alternative access.  People just don’t question plans I guess.