This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 2 months ago by DeAnn R.

• Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Hello all. Brianna’s column this week details her struggles to acquire a tattoo because of an inaccessible parlor. I’m sure her stories here are relatable, especially the ignorance of the tattoo parlor owners who didn’t understand why the stairs in their building weren’t accessible. I’d love to hear some of your stories about this topic, and if you have any strategies for dealing with inaccessible events and buildings.

Here’s the column: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/02/05/sma-accessibility-never-ending-quest-tattoo/

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

I had a similar experience when my sister and I went to get tattoos.  It amazes me that businesses don’t even give it a second thought.  Ended up going elsewhere.  What do you do when a business or restaurant isn’t accessible?  It’s happened to me surprisingly often.  Most often I don’t make an issue of it and go somewhere else, or patiently wait as the party I’m with checks it out.  From their end most often a cost issue is cited.  They feel bad, but not enough to change anything.  From my perspective it saddens my heart and feels like silent discrimination.  Might as well put a sign on the door, “Wheelchair users not welcome.”  What do you think?

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

It really is a shame. I run into this issue occasionally, but fortunately not terribly often. If it does happen I usually notify the manager, but if it’s a case like Brianna’s here where she asked in advance if the place was accessible and they lied to her, I think it’s worth taking legal action.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

I don’t think I would hassle with legal action, but it sure would be frustrating.

Alyssa Silva
      Keymaster

So often I encounter experiences like this. Just the other day, I drove by a church whose ramp began at the edge of a sidewalk curb. Having a ramp to avoid stairs and inaccessibility kind defeats the purpose when there’s a step to get onto the ramp. Guess I won’t be going there anytime soon!

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

I hear you. When I was in college there were buildings just like that. Really? Who designed that? It’s a shame that this kind of inaccessibility is still a problem in many places.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

I did a double take when I saw a sidewalk being poured leading to a ramp and they were pouring a step into the sidewalk!  Hoping I was wrong or there was alternative access.  People just don’t question plans I guess.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.