SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Where have you had the most success finding caregivers?

• Arty

February 2, 2024 at 3:22 pm

Hello Alyssa!

I have followed this thread regarding caregivers (PCAs) for some time. I don’t think there will be a perfect environment to secure PCAs for the long-term. Ideally I attempt to get 2 PCAs (part-time positions, morning and evenings), with the understanding that they would be willing to work alternate weekends.

40 years searching for help I will reference my experience to a spaghetti western movie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

My question would be, do you feel that minimum wage hike plays a role in finding good help?

Can’t compete with $20.00/hour.

• Arty

February 2, 2024 at 4:42 pm

Ugh…typos “pay hikes.” Fast food workers here in California get $20.00/hour.

Hard to compete when you pay out of pocket.

• alyssa-silva

February 5, 2024 at 3:20 pm

I’m sure that’s a contributing factor. My caregivers just got a recent pay increase because the minimum wage rose. However, it’s not $20/hr. It is close though. I wonder what the rate is like across the states. Though I’m not sure that state-to-state makes a difference in the quest to find good reliable caregivers. It’s slim pickings out there.

• Arty

March 10, 2024 at 8:33 pm

That could be the key to retaining attendance to provide a package deal for instance, retirement, pay, increases, etc. I pay a pocket so it could be challenging. And of course it’s more of a two year gig.

Nursing students, and two year colleges and universities nearby can alleviate some of the searching for solid assistance.