SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Woman With a Disability Writes About Motherhood

• Woman With a Disability Writes About Motherhood

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 23, 2018 at 11:22 am

Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well. How’s everyone’s summer going?

I just wanted to share this article from The Mighty, in which a woman writes about how she doesn’t let her disability get in the way of her desire to become a mother: https://themighty.com/2018/07/dreaming-of-parenting-with-a-disability/. I like the points she brings up here, and this is certainly an important conversation to have. There are still people today who think that people with disabilities are incapable of marriage, parenthood, etc. It’s absurd, but that’s the world we live in.

For those of you who are parents of someone with SMA, I encourage you to have these conversations. Let them know that things like marriage and raising a family of their own are entirely possible for them. I know people with SMA who fall into both of these categories. Don’t let them be discouraged.

What are your thoughts? Have you had these conversations with your children before? Share your experiences.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.