• Working from home

Posted by deann-r on January 29, 2019 at 3:32 pm

As I ask Alexa what the temperature is the response makes me shudder, -20. That’s twenty below zero in the middle of the day! Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder. Fortunately those frigid temperatures are a rarity, but it’s days like these I’m glad I work from home. Not only do I make my vlogs and help moderate these forums I do payroll for a small business. Do you guys work from home? If so, what do you do? If not, is it challenging to get to and from work? What other challenges do you face?

deann-r replied 5 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

January 29, 2019 at 9:07 pm

I don’t have a payed job, but I have a few volunteer positions at the local center for people with disabilities (Turnstone). My largest role consists mostly of making phone calls and sending a few emails. I check in with my boss in person a few times a month, but otherwise I do almost everything from home. My other roles are not things I can do from home, but are only once a month each, and the people I work with are very understanding if I need to reschedule do to illness, weather, etc.

• deann-r

January 30, 2019 at 11:30 am

You’ve mentioned your volunteer work before.  It’s great you can do some of it from home.  It is actually nice to get out on occasion, so it’s probably good you’re able to check in too.  Flexibility is important so it’s great you’ve found that as well.  I have found most places to be accommodating in that regard.

• halsey-blocher

January 30, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Yes, I love being able to have the opportunities to do some of the work from home as well as go out and interact with people.

• holly-payne

January 31, 2019 at 3:41 pm

I work from home, and have done so for about five years now. I’m a university teacher, and spent about the first decade exclusively teaching on campus in a traditional classroom setting. It was wonderful. Eventually, I began making my classes into hybrid versions with about a 50% in class and 50% online split. Finally, I was able to convert to fully online classes. I still teach a large number of students, but have great flexibility in my schedule. It’s a fantastic arrangement.

• kevin-schaefer

January 31, 2019 at 3:51 pm

That’s great Holly! I’m glad that the university makes those accommodations.

• deann-r

February 1, 2019 at 10:46 am

Fantastic Holly. Online classes are getting to be pretty popular.  I bet the students appreciate it just as much as you do.  What do you teach if you don’t mind my asking?

• pamela-muhammad

February 1, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Hi everyone! I  love the SMA website because very helpful and inspiring! I too would love to find a job but at the moment I would only like to work on time and when it being so cold it’s a bit difficult to get out all of the time. Thank you all for sharing that information if you know any site that can help me find a job and stay at home I would greatly appreciate it! Have a great day

• deann-r

February 1, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Pamela, what type of things do you enjoy doing? Sometimes you can make a job out of a hobby.