How Physical Therapists Can Help Children With Neuromuscular Disorders

Wendy Henderson avatar

by Wendy Henderson |

Share this article:

Share article via email

In this video from MoveForwardPT, a physical therapist (PT) from the Children’s National Medical Center talks about role PTs play in optimizing movement for children with muscular dystrophy (MD) and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).

MORE: What kind of physical therapist do I need?

A pediatric physical therapist helps children with MD and SMA to maintain skills they have and to adjust to compensate for muscle weakness. They will also help them use various technologies and equipment to help them achieve everyday tasks such as walking, standing, and eating, retaining their independence for as long as possible.

MORE: Why physical activity is important if you have SMA.

SMA News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.