August is Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Awareness Month. To help spread the word about the disease and raise much-needed funds for research into treatments and therapies, Cure SMA has come up with a list of ideas to help you get started:
- Hold an awareness day with your local sports team
- Reach out to local celebrities and politicians to ask for proclamations or statements
- Reach out to local newspapers, and TV and radio stations
- Become an advocate
- Join your local Cure SMA chapter and volunteer
- Host a fundraising event
- Hold a group candle lighting to honor those who have lost their battle with the disease
- Spread the word on social media
Throughout the month, Cure SMA will also be hosting a social media outreach campaign. The organization is asking people to post photographs on Facebook of someone who inspires them to raise awareness for SMA, or a picture of them taking part in a fundraising event using the hashtag #cureSMA or tag Cure SMA.
You can also update your profile picture for your social media accounts with a Cure SMA twibbon.
SMA News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.