SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes about Life in the Fast Lane

• Columnist Writes about Life in the Fast Lane

Posted by brianna-albers on July 15, 2019 at 7:00 am

Happy Monday! We’re halfway through July already. It’s crazy!

Life seems to be going faster and faster for me these days, which is why Alyssa’s latest column hit me as hard as it did. In this piece, she writes about her recent level of activity and the fatigue that accompanies it.

Like Alyssa, I love crossing things off my to-do list. I often put things on my to-do list just so I can cross them off! But fatigue knocks us down when we least expect it, especially when living with SMA.

I love what Alyssa said at the very end of her column: “[…] in an effort to slow down and reexamine my responsibilities, I realize that I must make a conscious effort to redirect my thoughts and recognize that the only responsibility I have is to take care of my body.”

In my opinion, that’s a great way of balancing health and responsibility. We can enjoy the adrenaline rush of the fast lane — so long as we realize that our bodies deserve just as much attention as our to-do lists, if not more.

How do you balance your fluctuating health and your to-do lists? Let us know in the comments below!

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

July 15, 2019 at 2:31 pm

I went on a spur of the moment day trip with my Mom yesterday. Today I’m beat. The 91 degree heat and high humidity probably isn’t helping. It was worth it though.

• ryan-berhar

July 15, 2019 at 4:35 pm

It’s definitely hard to find that balance. I’m still trying to figure it out for myself. I’ve mentioned this before, but living with SMA is sort of like having a full-time job. Thinking about it from that perspective helps me when I feel like I’m not doing enough. It helps combat the frustration of not “keeping up” with my able-bodied friends. If you’re living with this disease, you’re doing a whole heck of a lot, both physically and mentally. Cut yourself some slack. The other side of this is complacency, which I’d say I have a tendency to fall into sometimes. So that’s the balance. Find enough to do, but not so much that it exceeds your physical and mental limits.