SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: #10YearChallenge

• Motivation Monday: #10YearChallenge

Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 9, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For today’s Motivation Monday topic, I wanted to talk about the hashtag #10YearChallenge. This is a popular trend on social media right now, and it’s fun. It encourages users to post a picture of themselves from 2009, next to one of them from 2019. The idea is to see how much people have changed in the past ten years.

I wrote my last column on this subject. In particular, I wrote about the ways that my life with SMA, and my mindset, has changed. My decade has included trials and triumphs, and it was cathartic to reflect on both. Check out my column, and let me know if this kind of reflection helps you.

Can you relate to this idea? Does reflecting on personal growth give you motivation?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

December 9, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Great article Kevin. It is interesting looking back. Sometimes it’s hard to believe what I’ve accomplished. Looking ahead I have to muster some of that strength from past endeavors to meet goals I’ve set for myself. Unfortunately as you mentioned with yourself my physical strength isn’t what it used to be, so other strengths are what I’ll have to rely on.

• alyssa-silva

December 9, 2019 at 2:47 pm

”Way to start a conversation, lady.”

I literally just lol’d at that! So relatable. Great column.

As much as I’m loving people’s 10-year challenges, I also love how it’s encouraging us to take inventory of our lives. This past year has been a little tough for me and my family, but when I think of the big picture— these last ten years— I realize I’m equipped with all I need for a new decade. It’s been a wild ride, and I’m ready to see what’s in store for the ’20s.

• halsey-blocher

December 9, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Great column, Kevin! It’s definitely kind of crazy to reflect on the past 10 years. In 2009, I was 12. Needless to say, I’ve changed a lot since then. I went through quite a lot around that time. I won’t go in to details or else we’re all going to be here a while. I’ve definitely grown a lot in many ways in that time. It will be interesting to see how we all continue to grow and change in the next 10 years.