SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA A Different Kind of Isolation

• A Different Kind of Isolation

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 1, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all living your best quarantine lives.

Check out my latest column here. As I think about how we’re all homebound until further notice, I’m reminded of past times of self-isolation. Unlike times when I was sick or injured, I’m healthy this time around. It’s pretty surreal, and I reflected on my lockdown thoughts in this column. Hope you all enjoy!

Do you have any takeaways from this piece? How are you all coping with self-isolation?

alyssa-silva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tracy-odell

April 1, 2020 at 7:53 am

When I retired, I made the deliberate choice to stay at home as much as possible during the winter. I only went out for important medical appointments and delayed the rest of them until the spring. Christmas Eve enticed me to go to my sister’s where several family members were gathering.

So the COVID-19 crisis has made it easier for me to stay home because even my medical appointments are switching to virtual, online appointments – I wish they had done this sooner! and I hope this continues.

With spring coming, I was looking forward to going out again because I could do so without getting unbearably cold. My best friends and I had made a deal to get together at least once a month for some social time. Now, that is on hold. I feel a little sad that I can’t come out of hibernation yet. At least, I am lucky to live in a house with wheelchair access to the backyard, so I will be able to enjoy sitting outside and reading. And I will continue to stay in touch with family and friends by phone, text and online.

• alyssa-silva

April 1, 2020 at 10:04 am

My feelings fluctuate hour by hour honestly haha. I definitely think that SMA and social distancing myself every winter has made me more prepared to handle this isolation.

However, being isolated can get discouraging. Like I’m literally seeing no one but my parents as we’ve canceled caregivers. Absolutely no one is allowed in our home a right now. Plus, now is usually the time I make my way into the world again, but thanks to coronavirus I’m on house arrest until further notice.

That being said, yeah it’s tough. Yeah, I miss my caregivers and friends and my old life. And, quite honestly I miss NOT being a ball of anxiety. But if isolation means that’s my highest chance of staying healthy, I’m going to make the most of it knowing I’m (hopefully?) safe and sound.