SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA A Response to this Twitter-user

• A Response to this Twitter-user

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 1, 2018 at 10:13 am

My column this week is in reference to one of the most ridiculous Tweets I’ve ever come across. A couple weeks ago someone made the claim that “disabled parking should only be valid between the hours of 9 and 5,” saying that there was no reason for those of us with disabilities to be out at that time. This was my response: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/05/01/i-have-sma-am-in-wheelchair-do-have-life/

Really I wouldn’t have bothered addressing this person if there hadn’t been so many people who actually agreed with this guy. I’m sure you all have come across other ableist Tweets, articles and social media posts here. I’d love to hear some of them here, just for entertainment.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mike-huddleston

May 9, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Saw that and read your response, Kevin.  There are a stunning amount of clueless and ignorant people.  But, fortunately, they are outweighed by the supportive and compassionate folks out there.  As if his original tweet didn’t convey it, his reply about not being “bullied by a gang of losers on mobility scooters or wheelchairs” proves beyond doubt to me that he’s nothing more than a troll trying to make controversial comments to stir some nonsense.  His suggestion is never going to happen.  I don’t mind educating those genuinely interested in learning or establishing a dialogue.  I don’t give people like this moron a second thought.  With trolls, responding only gives them motivation to continue.

• kevin-schaefer

May 10, 2018 at 9:28 am

I agree Mike. I debated with myself whether or not to write this column, but I decided to go ahead and do it and leave out the guy’s username. I think that even though this guy is one a million, there are still good-intentioned people who often act surprised when they see people with disabilities working and living their lives. I figured this would be a good way to contribute to that conversation. Thanks for your input.

• mike-huddleston

May 10, 2018 at 3:57 pm

That’s seriously a good point.  Last summer on vacation, one of my wife’s cousins and I were talking.  He asked what I’m sure he intended as a harmless question: “Are you still working?”  Me: “Of course.”  Him: “Really??!!  Good for you.  That’s really, really good for you.”  And this was surrounding a conversation about work in general.  Now, I’ve been working for the same company for over 30 years [uh, ahem, I started when I was 5 as the child labor laws were different back then 😉 ] and he didn’t ask if I was planning on retiring anytime soon, but seemed surprised that I was still working since my transition to a w/c full time back in 2015.  And this is someone who has known me for over 35 years.  I wasn’t offended, necessarily, but rather amused that he didn’t think I’d still be working.

Don’t get me wrong, lose my mortgage payment (shocker #2: some people in wheelchairs do own their own homes!!) and have some kind of stability or decent (read: affordable) healthcare options and I’d consider retiring, but I have expenses and obligations (just like most others) that makes that impractical at present.

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2018 at 8:36 am

I totally understand. Just a few months ago a relative seemed surprised when I told him how many hours I work every week. It was like he didn’t expect me to have a full-time job, even though he knew that I had gone to college. It’s like, what do you think I went to college for? I wasn’t offended either, but yeah there are still good people in our society who subconsciously fail to realize that people with disabilities have careers and romantic relationships.

• deann-r

May 12, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Those are the type of people who I’d love to see walk in our shoes sort of speak.  Bet he couldn’t hack it for a day.  Unfortunately those are also the type of people who don’t listen to reason.  Heaven forbid he would have a child with a disability.  Bet he’d change his tune pretty quick if that were the case.

• adnan-hafizovic

May 15, 2018 at 11:59 am

This is really sad what kind of people has in this world.

• kevin-schaefer

May 15, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Oh it is. Fortunately though they only represent a portion of the population.