• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DeAnn R 2 months ago.

• Author
       DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Rolling Like the Waves: SMAdventures in Adaptive Sailing

Hey everyone!

In Katie’s latest column, she writes about her adventures in adaptive sailing. This post brought back memories of getting on the water with my family’s pontoon. I don’t know if I would be daring enough to try sailing, but my takeaway from this column is to surround yourself with supportive people. When you do this, it opens up endless possibilities.

What’s your takeaway from this column? What are some adventures you’ve been on? A hot air balloon ride is on my bucket list.

Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

When I was little, I went to a fishing event for kids with disabilities a few times. I went on a pontoon boat a couple times. It was pretty fun. I remember one time, however, when some guys literally lifted me while sitting in my chair onto the boat. There was a gap between the boat and the dock. At the time, I didn’t think much of it, because when you’re a little kid you assume adults know what they’re doing. Now that I’m an adult, I realize we’re often dumb. Looking back on it, it was an absolutely horrible idea, and I probably would have drowned if my 200 pound chair (more with me in it) would have been mishandled.

DeAnn R 
        Keymaster

I always tell people where my seat-belt unhooks, but yup our chairs would certainly be like anchors. Getting on the pontoon would always be the scariest part because we would put a board as a ramp between the dock & boat. Living on the edge!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Videos

• ©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.