SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Additional Uses of the Amazon Echo Show

• Additional Uses of the Amazon Echo Show

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 6, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I’ve had an Amazon Echo Show for about a year, and I’m still figuring out new ways to use it. While I primarily use mine to listen to music and podcasts, it has plenty of other functions.

Yesterday my little AI unit really came in handy. I didn’t sleep well the night before, and I was really dragging yesterday at lunch and while I was working. I desperately needed a nap, and I asked my Mom to transfer me to my bed around 5:00 in the afternoon. The only problem was that she had to go out at that time to run some errands.

Now, it used to be impossible for me to be left alone in bed. If there was an emergency and there was no one else at the house to help me, I would have been screwed. With my Echo Show however, I can use it to call my Mom if I need something. As such, she simply got me in bed, placed my Echo Show near me, and was able to go out knowing that I could call her for help if I needed anything. I then crashed for the next few hours.

This device also came in handy when I was ready to get up, or if I needed to shift. Given that we have an Echo Dot in our kitchen, which is on the other side of the house from my room, I was able to call my parents through my Echo Show and they could receive the call through their Dot. Little things like this make a world of difference for those of us who have SMA.

What about you all? How many of you have an Amazon Alexa device? How do you use yours?

Also, here are a couple columns I wrote about my Echo Show:

https://smanewstoday.com/2017/08/22/sma-how-amazon-alexa-echo-show-is-increasing-my-independence/?amp

https://smanewstoday.com/2018/03/13/sma-using-my-amazon-echo-show-part-2/?amp

deann-r replied 5 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

June 13, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I’m really liking the drop in feature.  I can use my show to “drop in” on the Dot to have  my pca roll me over at night.  I can also set reminders for things as well.  In an upcoming episode of Dose of DeAnn I’ll also talk about how I use it to help make conversation during appointments. Loving it!