SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Adjusting to a New Wheelchair

• Adjusting to a New Wheelchair

Posted by deann-r on October 30, 2020 at 11:00 am

There’s nothing like a new wheelchair to make you feel ultra disabled. Sitting in the new chair today I can’t do things I could yesterday in the old one. Shocking to me because the added features should theoretically allow me to do more. Even the Kleenex to dry my tears is out of reach. Of course I knew there’d be an adjustment period, but I’m already counting down the days before I can get a different chair, 4 years 364 days. The rep is coming back next week to make some adjustments he wasn’t able to do initially. My fear though is that most of the aspects I don’t like can’t be changed. I wanted to love it. I’m trying so hard to make it work. My old chair is sitting in the corner of the kitchen beckoning me. Tempting as it is I know if I switch back I won’t want to put the effort into getting used to this one. Any tips or tricks to loving something you hate?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dennis-turner

October 30, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Just don’t give up. Eventually you will come to love the stupid new chair.
    Probably…

• alyssa-silva

October 31, 2020 at 10:21 pm

To be completely honest with you, I love my old (nonexistent) chair more than the one I have now. That probably isn’t what you want to hear. But I will say that the frustration will subside and you’ll get used to it. Unfortunately, that takes time, so hang in there right now! I know how you feel but eventually, you’ll acclimate to your new chair.